Monday, June 05, 2006

Line of Action, part 2

Here's the rest of the Tom & Jerry pics. There were a blast to draw! Tom & Jerry has always been one of my favourite cartoons, and being able to draw them was very gratifying.

I'm getting the hang of line of action. There are a couple good examples in the pics. Some of them i didn't push it far enough, and some have the curve off. It just shows you how important a proper line of action is for a drawing to show decent movement. I still had some trouble with body proportion but i managed to get better at it near the end (Tom's really threw me off for most of his drawings).

I'm also starting to understand the use of negative space. When trying to get a drawing to look right, it can be more important than trying to see if your lines are correct.

I might give the Disney and Clampett drawings a go later this week. I want to give those Katie Rice heads a go first.

The lesson can be found here, ASIFA-Hollywood Animation Archive Project Blog: Meta: The $100,000 Animation Drawing Course- Lesson 5

3 Comments:

Blogger Andy Seredy said...

Great stuff, man. How long does a page like that take you? It takes me about 6 or 7 hrs, And thats depressing. Anyhow great stuff man. The charactures look great.
andy

6:56 AM  
Blogger Dave_the_Turnip said...

Well, at least you're taking your time. I'd say i average about 15 - 30 mins a drawing. Depends on the difficulty. That's one of my weaknesses i reckon. I don't like to spend too much time on a drawing. I've been working on that with these exercises though (i said in my last post, that drawing of Tom punching the other cat took me around 2 hours).

Thanks for the praise :)

7:04 AM  
Blogger Kevin Langley said...

Hey these look good! Nice Jerry's and great Tom drawings in that earlier post too. I'm like you, I don't spend much time on a drawing. Though I have been for each lesson. I've been trying to analyze my drawings more. Keep 'em coming.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home